Monday, June 14, 2010

So the summer goes

Had a great weekend. Lindsey and Alisa had Friday off for King K. day. Saturday was regatta at Hanalei. You should google it. It's awesome. They have a few there. Lots of people, had a really nice time.

I sat under the tent or layed in the sun on a towel and read a novel, start to finish. Called Good in Bed. Written by the same lady that wrote In Her Shoes. Very good read. About a fat girl that breaks up with her boyfriend, struggles with her weight, ends up pregnant, becomes BFF's with a super famous actress, sells a screen play, falls in love with a doctor who loves her even though she's fat. So this book really spoke to me right now, the whole fat girl thing anyway. Don't plan on getting famous or pregnant ;).

Got a little bit of a sunburn, not too bad considering I didn't wear sunscreen again. I really tried hard to flip every few minutes (when my body started getting hot) and stayed in the shade most of the day. We got there at 9:30 and left at like 6:00! It was a crazy long day. I never ate! I was so into the book. The kids, however, had a blast. Spent most of the day in the water. Trent made a little friend, which was GREAT! But what wasn't great was the sunburn they got on their faces. Trent got a blister on his ear and Julia got blisters on her nose. I feel like SUCH a bad mom. While they got sunscreen reapplied to their bodies, I forgot about their faces. I HATE when they get hurt. I always take it as a failure on my part as a mom, like I am an unfit mom because they got a sunburn. A little unreasonable, I know. But as a mom, (and you reading this are mostly moms) you feel responsible for everything and hate to know your kids are hurting and you could have revented it. So enough about that.....

Julia was over playing in the water alone (since trent was with the boys and Jackie and the girls left early) so she crawled into a beach chair, put a towel over her completely except her face, and fell asleep. For LIKE AN HOUR! I finally woke her up and made her come into the shade and drink some water. She then went back to sleep for another good half hour. Trent, on the other hand, only came back for food or when required. He took his rash guard off, then went back on the boogie board for like 2 hours. That was a bad idea. He came back for more sunscreen and had a HUGE rash all over his bely. Lindsey sprayed him down with sunscreen and he SCREAMED and cried. Poor guy. On one hand, I was like "well, if you had left your rash guard on while you used the boogie board..." but I really felt bad for him cause I know that hurt!

Ok, enough of the play by play! We had a good time. It was a nice break from reality. Cause reality was rough that night, just sayin. Things have to get worse before they get better right? Feeling really really confused after a period of extreme clarity. I felt so sure for a day or two, now I am back to confused. Stupid emotions. Whoever invented them was obviously not a debater. It would be much better if my rational mind was allowed free reign.

3 comments:

  1. i'm glad you had a fun weekend..... you're not a bad mom - people forget, mum's aren't fallible!!!!! take care of you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I don't know if this will make you feel better, but, In October the kids and I played hooky from school and went and met some old friends at the beach. I SWEAR (and they back me up) that I put sunscreen on them from top to bottom, but the boys ended up so fried they had to miss school for 4 days, they were a mess, it was awful. Myself, Alice and Joely were fine. I attribute it to the boogie boards the boys were on. I hate it when people say, "It happens to the best of us" because that makes me think that they mean, I'm the best and you are a complete waste, so if it happens to me then of course it will happen to you. So that's not what I'm saying, I'm just saying that dilligence does not equal not getting a sunburn, I;m glad you found a good book to keep your mind off things for a day. I loved the other book she wrote that you mentioned and I actually LOVED the movie version too. Another fun book to keep your mind of things and not one of those "change your life" books is the Help- it's about a small southern town in the sixties.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, so write to your little hearts content!